Friday, November 6, 2015

Some Goals Need to be Reconsidered (But I didn't die)

Back in June, I read Wild which was based on a true story of a woman hiking the Pacific Crest Trail.  Ever since, I have been wanting to try day hiking.

About a month ago, we were near Tahoe and I was able to step onto the trail, but we didn't have any time to hike it.


So I set a goal that next October (so it isn't too hot) we would go on a day hike (but not camp--haha) in the Tahoe area.

But you have to start somewhere to get into shape, right?

This past weekend, we didn't have anything planned, so I was like "let's go on a hike".  My husband thought of the Pinnacles...sounds fun.  Some of the hikes (and the first part of our hike) weren't too bad. (flat ground) 


But then we decided to do the Bear Gulch Caves and wow...I was not in any shape to do that part of the hike...you had to crouch low (I hit my head once) and walk up a million stairs...but I did it!  




And you know what?  I didn't die!  ha ha ha.

Lately, my husband has been saying this quote from the Hangover II...


And even though my back hurt and my feet ached and I was exhausted, I was ok and I didn't die.

Will I continue my goal of hiking the PCT (that's what us hikers call the Pacific Crest Trail--haha!)?  I am not sure...not because my body ached after, but because you have to watch where you are walking and you don't really get to enjoy the views.  It wasn't all that fun.  The peak of the hike was a reservoir which wasn't even that pretty--the water was muddy green!


But some of the end points I have seen from other trails are really amazing (like Crater Lake!).  So at this point, I am not sure if I will continue with this goal.  If I do, I will have to get into shape before trying another hike like this.  It has been almost a week and my lower back is still a little sore.

Thank you for letting me share :)

4 comments:

  1. I love that quote, LOL!
    Good for you getting your hike on!
    Yes you have to start somewhere...I'm sure you'll get better the more you do it.
    Although to be honest, I still "die" on the hiking trail David and I use and have been using for years!!! I'm just not made for "endurance" it seems!
    When you hike PCT, make sure you blog about it so I can live vicariously through you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are BRAVE! Congrats though! I think after Diamond Head, I've had my fill of hiking for the rest of my life! Is 'Wild' the one they made into a movie with Reese?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah thank you :) Yes, Diamond Head was torturous, but the views were so amazing!!! :)

      Yes, Wild is the movie with Reese :D

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love to read your comments! I usually reply to all comments, but I don't think a notification is given once I reply.

Also, I have been told that sometimes the comments do not show up...I do not know why that is...if it doesn't show up, then I don't see them.

Unless it is spam...I do not delete any comments. :(