Sunday, August 16, 2015

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up--Why it won't work for Me

Last week, I finished the best selling book The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing and it sounds like a good idea, but I don't think it could ever work for me.

22318578

First of all, this will check off the "A book that was originally written in a different language" item on the 2015 Reading Challenge.  I had planned on reading it for my "non-fiction" item, but this one seemed easier to check off "different language" because I think I will have more options at finding an interesting non-fiction book.  Anyway...onto my review (since it really isn't a spoiler-ish type book).

1.  I checked this out from my library for free, but people buy this book and the point of the book is to get rid of clutter--so wouldn't this book add to your clutter?  She even says if this book doesn't bring you joy to toss it--"Keep only those books that will make you happy just to see them on your shelves, the ones that you really love.  That includes this book, too.  If you don't feel any joy when you hold it in your hand, I would rather discard it."  I'm sure in her mind she says "but only after you give me your money" ha ha!

2.  I live with my husband and two adult(ish) children.  Even if I could let go of stuff, I still have to get the other 3 on board with doing this whole life-changing experience.  One time I was trying to create room in the kitchen cabinets and was scolded by the kids for trying to toss out "souvenir" cups from the Miami Marlins stadium--haha.

3.  In this day and age, most "things" cost a lot of money and it isn't easy just getting rid of some of the stuff she is telling you to get rid of.  I mean some of it does make sense though...I really don't need our cell phone boxes or our computer boxes--maybe someday I will toss those :D

4.  I am a crafter and a lot of my clutter is probably useless, but this is a really hard thing to let go.  I have purged before and I can probably still let go of much of the paper, but this goes back to "things" cost a lot of money.  I'd be better off learning not to buy stuff (and using what I have) than to get rid of it.

5.  The section about photos alone made me want to stop reading--haha.  Yes, I am sure no one really wants to see all my pictures of the food I take, but sometimes it is so pretty not to take a photo.  Plus, I have spent too much money on a camera to not take pretty photos of the scenery!  But not only that, she says if they are in an album...take them all out and go through every single photo and figure out whether it brings you joy or not...um, they are already in an album--why do extra work???  "with this method, you will keep only about five per day of a special trip..." WHAT?!?!?!  My husband and I just got back from Puerto Rico and between the two of us with 2 iPhones and 2 different cameras, we came home with 2,000 photos over the 7 days!  um, I am not keeping only 35 photos of our trip :/

6.  I don't think I will feel comfortable talking to my objects.  She encourages you to tell your clothing, etc. thank you for doing their job.  Also, she says to unpack your purse daily and tell each item thank you--um, I think my family would commit me to a looney bin! 

So even though, this will not completely work for me, I think it can help me think about learning to let go of some things and stop buying others.

Have you read this book?  What are your thoughts?

6 comments:

  1. Linda... this post is so funny! This book sounds kinda crazy!? I have not read it although I just had to have it :) Hmmm I really don't feel like talking to my stuff. I don't have problem letting go of stuff my problem is I have to stop buying.
    I can't wait to see some of this 2000 pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes...where is the book to stop buying, right :D

      Delete
  2. I agree... she sounds looney tunes.. talk to my clothing? Say whaaaat?!?! I hate clutter so I definitely throw away things I don't need like ::ahem:: empty computer boxes and cell phone boxes...::ahem:: but only after the return date has passed. But anything else, I guess it depends... I, like you, just see myself throwing money away when I throw stuff away. BUT, a big but, I need to learn to throw more away. My house is neat, but small so anything additional I have that I don't need turns into clutter and clutter looks messy. First stop? My craft room! I haven't used it much in the past year and it has become the "catch-all" room! A few months ago, my husband and I did a clean up of everything else that was in there and the room itself looks good again, but my craft section, which is along one wall, looks awful! So even though I think the author may be a bit crazy, and her overall plan wouldn't work for me, I am inspired... thanks (to both of you)!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, there were definite parts that were inspiring...but she says her way results in never doing an over all purge again :/

      Delete
  3. 1. You are funny!
    2. Some of those tips are coo coo.
    3. You are sane : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the vote of confidence :D ha ha

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love to read your comments! I usually reply to all comments, but I don't think a notification is given once I reply.

Also, I have been told that sometimes the comments do not show up...I do not know why that is...if it doesn't show up, then I don't see them.

Unless it is spam...I do not delete any comments. :(