Friday, June 26, 2015

2015 Reading Challenge Halfway Mark


It is not quite halfway through the year just yet (4 more days--eek!), but I wanted to update my reading challenge list.  I am at 20 of the 52 books (the list has 50 items, but there is a trilogy in there so it bumps it up to 52 books).  I'm a bit behind, but that is ok since I might not check everything off the list.

I have decided that I need a few days of being book free--hence the update 4 days before the midpoint.

In my first post about the Challenge, I had read 9 books in 4 months.  But over the last 2 months, I have read an additional 11...eek!...that is 1.5 books per week...I gotta do some other stuff :)  But I do enjoy it.

Onto my reviews which may contain spoilers if you plan on reading them (or seeing the movie if there is one).

Paper Towns-"A Book that became a Movie"  The "end goal" of this book was horrible!  I was glad the ending didn't turn out like it made you feel like it would, but the book didn't let you understand the reasoning why everything took place.  I know this is very vague, but if someone hasn't read it, I don't want to spoil it too much...although I probably already have by saying it doesn't turn out like you think it will--haha  But I will still see the movie when it comes on cable or Netflix :)

I Was Here-"A book published this year"  This book was kinda depressing.  Having 2 kids in college, it really struck me and made me worry even more!  It was a pretty decent book and had a cute love story at the end.  I am always a sucker for a love story.

Maine-"A book written by someone under 30" This was a cute story about 3 generations.  The book is told from the point of view of 4 women which is interesting because the way one person is portrayed through one person's eyes is portrayed differently through their own eyes.  Although I hated the ending...it left you wondering "did this happen or did this happen?!?!?!"  UGH

Wild-"A book based on a True Story" This book was so boring, but interesting at the same time.  She was very messed up and really unprepared to hike from the Mohave desert to the Oregon/Washington border.  But it did make me want to hike in Oregon to see Crater Lake :D  I love Reese Witherspoon and can't wait to catch the movie on cable.

I'll Meet You There-"A book based entirely on its cover"  This was a twisted sort of love story.  I really like this one.  It's a "getting out here and having a better life"...dealing with PTSD...just tell each other you love each other type of book :)  What was the cover that intrigued me?



Yours For Christmas-"A book you can finish in a day"  This is a book in a series of "Fool's Gold".  I've read a couple of the books from this series--all pretty similar love story.  Typical guy doesn't want to get involved with a woman that has a child but falls in love with her and loves caring for the child :)

In Your Dreams-"A book with a love triangle" I am using this book as a love triangle (not sure if the definition fits, but in my mind it does).  The main female character starts to have feelings for a guy (and vice versa), but the guy's ex-wife comes to town and tries to win him back...he doesn't have feeling for her, but is nice to her (because everyone else isn't) and he is just too nice of a guy.  Very cute love story in the end.  This is actually the 4th book in a series (but a stand alone book).

The DUFF-"A book set in High School"  I did not really care for the main character.  It actually made me sad how she used sex as a a method to cope with her life.  I don't think young girls should have this sort of character to mimic.  The ending was cute though...typical love story...just getting to that point made me cringe.  I've heard the movie is different and of course I will watch it.

Before I Go-"A book that made you cry" I just finished this one and man, Cancer Sucks...I don't think I need to say anything else :(

A Fool's Gold Christmas-"A book set during Christmas"  Another one from the Fool's Gold Series.  Very cute love story of a reluctant girl and a player guy...very cute.  Sometimes I just need the sappiness.

Fresh Off the Boat-"A book based on a tv show" I wanted to read this book because I think the tv show is hilarious. Overall the book was interesting, but his "voice" was too hood/street...almost like he was trying too hard.  Also, his overuse of "son" was annoying.  And for someone that complains quite a bit about being called a Chink, he refers to women as shawty a LOT--both are so degrading in IMO--ok, maybe not quite, but I got the feeling that he really did not respect women at all.  I think I will still watch the tv show because it isn't much like the book or his real life (he even says so).

From this list, it seems like my favorite books are Love Story Romances, but I actually also love Mysteries by James Patterson, John Grisham, etc, but I just haven't gotten around to reading any for this challenge yet.

Well hopefully I can get some crafting done and stop bombarding my blog with book reviews :)

Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I came by to see how you were doing and get some book ideas... Glad I did! I am having trouble w/ some of the categories and you helped me out!
    You are doing better than me w/ the challenge... I'm only at 16/50 but I am reading 2 other books right now: one I'm almost finished w/, the other I'm halfway through (it's long! Ugh!!!)
    I'm hoping to blog an updated list soon!
    BTW - "Before I Go".... OMG so sad!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got "Before I Go" from your list :D Good luck with your reading :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog. I love to read your comments! I usually reply to all comments, but I don't think a notification is given once I reply.

Also, I have been told that sometimes the comments do not show up...I do not know why that is...if it doesn't show up, then I don't see them.

Unless it is spam...I do not delete any comments. :(