Sunday, April 4, 2010
Finally a hat that...
doesn't suck--ha ha ha. I have been trying to make a hat that actually fits. I have had some troubles in the hat department, but I finally made one this weekend that the family all agreed was pretty cool--YAY!!
I found this pattern in the January/February issue of Crochet Today. I wasn't too thrilled with the colors, so I changed them around. I first made it with black & burgundy Red Heart Super Saver yarn. Since I am still learning about yarn, I didn't realize that this stuff we a lot stiffer than what the patterned called for. Ultimately, the hat was not only stiff, but it was also too tight on the kids heads--oops. I really need to learn how to gauge the yarn--something that I have been avoiding to learn to do, but I guess that is why they have it in the patterns.
Here is the aftermath of me frogging that project:
(the yarn looks brown & pink, but it is burgundy & black--I hate the lighting!)
I went back to the store and bought some Red Heart Designer Sport in Cocoa & Ivory which is the type of yarn the pattern called for. This yarn was much softer. It did take me 2 tries on this hat, but it finally worked out and the kids thought it was cool and it fit them!
I may not avoid hat making afterall.